Had to move and set up water, metal barricades. Shift cones. Guide the traffic. All these for the sake the AHM will run smoothly. For your information, Army Half Marathon (AHM) is a yearly event. There are a few running routes: competitive 21km, 12 km, fun run. It is amazing the turnout for such an event. It is literally a deluge of colours. In addition, runners from other countries take part in AHM as well and it is a little disheartening that they are always the top runners. Anyway, I participated in AHM last year and ran 10 km. It was grueling so I could not imagine myself running the half marathon without proper training. Problems were definitely present during this AHM when I was guiding the traffic. It is certainly my fault when I am unsure the road closure and street direction. However, I am sure a good attitude goes a long way. So, I have a lot to thank to those rude drivers. So what if you can afford rich cars, it does not make you more deserving. Below is my take on what I should have said but didn't.
Q: How to get to Changi/Old Airport road/Marina South/Anywhere but not here?
A: Do I look like a street directory
Q: Can I cross the barricade, I just need to make a U-turn
A: There is a reason why there are barricades
Q: How come I am not informed that the road is closed?
A: Please, watch the news or read the newspaper, AHM is a yearly event
Q: How do I get out of here, I've been going in circles.
A: If you keep on turning left, for sure go in circle
There were some drivers who were even worse. They totally ignore my marshallers, only to swerve at the last moment. We were so afraid that we would collide that we hid behind the barricades. The worst is some angmo , sorry if I call them that. Maybe they are too expressive or liberal, but I do not think that I should accept profanities when I am smiling and trying to help you. They are definitely the worse of the lot. Luckily, there were some pretty female drivers and runners that make my day.
No comments:
Post a Comment