22.6.08

Day1: Nehru, let's PLONK it!

With our heavy bags, we gathered at Punggol jetty for our OBS. Even though it was the last week of the June holidays, there were many different groups heading towards Pulau Ubin (only 10 mins away) for their OBS programme. Perhaps it was preferential treatment, we, being the last to arrive, still manage to board the craft first.

The gathering

Off we go...

And it's bye bye Singapore/Comfort/Friends and hello to back to basic Pulau Ubin. Was a little excited and yet unsure of what to expect.

Welcome to Pulau Ubin

Don't tell me we are climbing that...

'Zoom'

After putting down our stuffs and some briefing, we separeted into watches. I was in Nehru, meeting people known and unknown. Thus, began our ice breaking game called 'zoom'.

Sitting in a circle with our backs facing each other, we were only allowed to communicate to people sitting directly next to us. As we were holding a couple of pictures/clues, the objective of the game is to find out the overall story in the shortest possible time. Sounds easy, but it was not as we took an hour to solve it. Every game has an objective and that was about effective communication.

Next up: high elements warm-up followed by the high elements. There were two of them: DDD (as our instructor Steven called it) invovling climbing up a widely spaced thick ladder with your partner and another solo high element. Being the first to climb the DDD, I was a little sad that I did not meet my expectation and gave up. It was really scary up there (even though there's a belayer). Learning points: Trust, self-motivation and determination are very important. Perhaps the failure in the first activity drove me to want to succeed for the personal high elements. When I reached the top, there's really a sense of achievement. No doubt tiring, I was very happy that I didn't give up.

Plan first, Act later

Listen to everyone

One for all, all for one

Never give up

Keep PLONK-ing!

No comments: